Sunday, November 18, 2007

#15 Week 6 LIBRARY 2.0 & WEB 2.0

How have I been able to write so much? Well, it has been technology driven by the big engine called the internet and the www (dub.dub.dub) that has driven me to browse through a number of the articles about Library 2.0 and watch some videos on Youtube and other sites. Some have been so interesting and thought provoking, that I have lost count of time.
For a person like me who hates to write about anything (I don’t remember writing a letter in the last few years), I’m truly amazed that I am writing (typing) using the resources of the internet. I think that the future of library collections will be greatly influenced by this ever-developing information technology. My own personal experience show how many people are looking to the internet for information rather than books? If I'm looking for anything from recipes to facts or some quick information, jump on to the internet, do a Google search and hey presto!! There it is.
Though I like to read fictional or non-fictional books almost everytime and even when I am lazing under the beach umbrella on a holiday while my husband is off into the waters with the kids, I wouldn’t be surprised that with technology becoming more and more available and affordable in future, we find a lot of holiday makers carrying their laptops to read various books and research rather than carry a whole pile of books as part of their luggage. Is this going to happen soon? I keep asking myself, but looking at my kids doing wonders on their PC, I think it is not far away. Maybe it may not happen to me now, but maybe in my granny years !
For academics and serious researchers it is always easier to look at online journal databases rather than try and track down the whole pile of books and journals themselves in libraries. I think libraries collections will adapt their focus to being more about entertainment reading, with fictional and non-fictional sections along side with electronic format reading. Thereby reducing prime space and maintenance of hard to find books
The library system needs to wholly integrate into our technology driven world and take advantage of all the library information systems readily available to share information, not only regionally but globally. Computer. This smarter working will not only help us share resources, but also expose us to other libraries through out the world for resources that may not be readily available here, thus making a world without distances.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some interesting comments here and something for all of us to think about